Kenya ...finally some peace!


All day we were on the road, at some places it was washed away by the rains, now it's the season of short rains here and every day it rains. After many hours and kilometers we finally reached the asphalt road and got to Isiolo. Ben was very happy that the car didn't break down, he was worried because a strange noise appeared... After a few more hours we reached my first stop in Kenya - Nanyuki, a town right on the Equator :) I saied buy to Ben very grateful to him, we exchanged contacts and promised to see each other in Cape Town again. Arriving in this Kenyan town i first noticed that nobody was bothering me, nobody screaming in my ears "give me money", nobody throwing stones ... People seem very nice and calm, there is considerably more cars the road ... I phoned my couchsurfing host to tell him that I'm in town, but it turned out that he could not meet me today, so he said to call him tomorrow. The reason was that he lives four kilometers out of town and was not going to the city today. It was almost dark and I went to look for a place to camp. I pitched the tent at the riverside along a street. This was absolutely impossible in Ethiopia because there would be twenty people circling the tent all night .... Nobody bothered me until morning, people passed nearby, but in the dark could not see me. I had breakfast in the morning and went back to the center of town, I called my host and he came in an hour. He was a very nice Kenyan named Robert and he lives with his family in a farm outside the city. The farm turned out to be big, with many plants, several cows, goats, dogs, cats and chickens. The animals were in very good condition and they obviously take care of them. For me, this place was a paradise - many animals to play with and a large lawn for my tent! The whole family were very nice, they fed me delisious typical dishes. They are from the kikuyu tribe, there are 41 different tribes in Kenya. They eat a lot of corn, especially roasted on fire, although a bit hard for the teeth it is very tasty. They drink milk with sugar and call it tea :) The conversations with the white person, however, begin with the subject of money ... the father of my host as he saw me he said "your country is very rich" and from there no matter how you explain that it we are not rich because we are white, they only know theirs and that's it! Kenyans believe that the white person has a lot of money and in the white countries there are no poor people, no unemployment, no bad roads, etc. It is very difficult, almost impossible to explain them that there is nothing like that ... The biggest shock for the father of my host was to hear that i hitchhike for free and sleep in a tent for free, he wondered why I do that  if I have a lot of money ... And Robert himself said that nobody in Kenya would pick me up for free, because according to him nobody in the country would do anything for free, for people here money is everything.
After my visit in Nanyuki i headed to Nakuru, where I met my next host Ryan, a volunteer of Peace Corps. Contrary to what Robert said hitchhiking was really easy. I changed many cars until i reached Nakuru, a pastor picked me up and went out of his way twice so that i could take pictures with the sign of the equator (twice i crossed it that day!) and to visit the waterfalls Thomson, that was really very beautiful ! Finally i even got a free ride in a bus :) Which totally destroyed the theory of Robert that nobody will take me for free. People on the bus were very funny and friendly and left me at a good place in Nakuru. I met Ryan and he took me all around the city and to the main gates of a national park, where we saw many monkeys, zebras, bison, antelope ... While outside the park, i could see animals, and monkeys were everywhere and very playful, so I didn't want to leave this place. Unfortunately the park itself is inaccessible for me because the ticket is expencive and you are not allowed to walk inside and have to sit in a car, to have a guide, etc. things that i really hate.
Now i'm in Naivasha, this morning I said goodbye to Ryan, who also cooked a fantastic meal last night called ugali - the traditional Kenyan meal, so now I know how to prepare it. I still have a lot to write about Kenya ... and now i am going to meet my host here in Naivasha, she is Kenyan.

No comments:

Post a Comment