Djibouti


For a long time I was about to write, but the Internet is either unavailable or very expensive. Currently I'm in Kenya, but let's get back to Djibouti for the moment.
My last day in Addis Ababa was partly positive because i hiked Mount Entoto, which is located near the city. A breath of fresh air affected me very well. My host came with me together with a Korean couchsurfer, but then our paths split because they took the bus :) African laziness is something inexplicable to me and i will never understand these people. For them walking is a symbol of poverty, they would take a taxi for some 200 meters ... Anyway, the next day early in the morning I went to send my DVDs with photos to Bulgaria by post, then right into the embassy of Somaliland to get a visa. Well, it took me three hours waiting instead of 20 minutes, but they gave me the visa for 40 USD. It took me the whole day to get out of Addis, I do not know how many kilometers i walked, but it was the entire city from north to south. Once I got out, i was covered in dust (terribly dusty and dirty city!). I managed to get a ride to Nazareth and it got dark. I was lucky that a truck driver stopped when he saw me in the dark, because a bunch of morons and pseudo-helpers were surrounding me and were walking on my nerves. There were two men in the truck, but they took me and had enough space. They traveled to Djibouti as all the trucks on this road. This is the busiest road full of trucks in the country because Djibouti acts as a single port city for Ethiopia and everything that enters or leaves the country by sea, goes from there. We traveled till midnight and stopped at a truck parking, i pitched my tent and slept well. At 6:00 we were back on the road. This road was very scenic, passing through the national park Yagundi and i saw a few gazelles, birds marabou, monkeys and generally awesome creatures :)) Landscape is something between savanna and desert, and the closer to Djibouti, the more it becomes a desert of stones and salt lakes. I passed the border control on foot after i said buy to both drivers. I did not expect that they will pick me up again after the border, it was just getting dark and they took me for some more kilometers. Again they stopped to sleep, and I pitched the tent on a very dusty ground and everything got dirty quickly. The next morning i already proceeded without the truck, another truck stopped and took me to close to Djibouty city. Then a pickup truck direct to the city. I was impressed how dry and empty is this country, everything is desert, in some places the ground is white from the salt ... And the heat and humidity are extreme, it's so humid that even when you sit in the shade and not to move, you are sweating all the time. I found a place where it was convinient for my host to meet me. She is a girl from Rwanda named Baloko and living in Djibouti now. I managed to find a public phone to call her and she came to pick me up. She lives alone in a big house, where she also works, she has an office with many computers and she has started a business with training seminars. It was easier for her to start in Djibouti than in her own country so she moved, but she plans to return to her beloved Rwanda one day. She even has a security guard and a cleaner, all middle class or rich people have servants here. When I walked in the house and put my backpack down, my first thought was to drink water but what an unpleasant surprise - the water from the tap had a strong salty taste. I was shocked, Baloko explaned to me that here the tap water is not drinkable because of the salty taste and no matter how hard I tried to drink again to get used to the taste, I was not able to handle it, i realized that it is the first country where I can not drink the normal water and will have to contribute to the increase of garbage of plastic bottles, by buying mineral :( That's a lot of garbage as in one day i drink at least 6 liters. But anyway I planned to stay no more than three days in this country. Together with Baloko we walked along the beach every night, she told me a lot about Djibouti ... this country is something like a gathering point for many people from different cultures also something of a business center for Africa. There are four official languages ​​- French, Somali, Afar and Arabic. There are many nations from the Middle east, especially Yemen. There is a huge amount of Frenchmen and generally white, living and working, or coming for business ... People in general are neither welcoming nor particularly friendly. Interested mostly in money, they do not produce anything, everything in Djibouti is imported from Ethiopia or Saudi Arabia and other nearby countries. Djibouti wins mostly from the port and Ethiopia is totally dependent on it. Etiopia lost it`s access to the sea because of the war with Eritrea, so now Ethiopia needs to keep good relations with Djibouti. Plus, when the French conquered Djibouti there was an agreement that it will be theirs for 99 years, after that it will be given back to Ethiopia, but this never happened.
My second day in Djibouty city i walked around the center, the architecture was pleasant, French influence is evident. But there are places where it's a total mess, especially the markets ... horrible to see and experience all the dirt and noise terror ... well .. I walked around with curiosity, but will not repeat :) There was not much to do and to see in Djibouti. It's not rich in nature, people are crazy and since alcohol is permitted and is everywhere, it's full of drunk morons. And keeping in mind the fact that there is no drinking water, nothing kept me in this country more days.
Early in the morning I left Baloko's home and started to walk out of the city. It took me a while, first i reached the Somali refugee camps. Since the border is veryclose to the city and the whole area is full of refugee camps, it is supposed to be a very dangerous area and the police at the first check-point didn't let me continue on foot. Luckily a car passed, the driver was super nice and took me to the border control. He was a businessman from Bahrain and was working in Djibouti. He was only going to the border and back.
The customs of Djibouti were idiots. Before me there were two French men waiting to let them across the border and going somewhere nearby for work. I was shocked when they were told to go back and the guy from the customs didn't want to let them continue. I was kept sitting on a chair for more than an hour, the idiot was holding my passport in one hand and was screaming at the passing refugees who were beaten up by his colleagues! It was Friday (weekend for Muslims) and there was not a car or truck on the road. Finally, the idiot stamped my passport after he tested my patience ... I walked the distance to the Somali border and everywhere was full of Somalis crossing to Djibouti. Customs officers there were fast and I got the stamp, and then the nightmare began ...

No comments:

Post a Comment